NJBC would like to congratulate and commend each of the 13 NJ healthcare facilities. All have achieved Baby-Friendly status.
- Inspira Medical Center Elmer, Elmer, NJ (3/12)
- Capital Health Medical Center- Hopewell, Pennington, NJ (3/12)
- Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Neptune, NJ (10/12)
- Morristown Medical Center, Morriston, NJ (12/15)
- Overlook Medical Center, Summit, NJ (11/15)
- Southern Ocean Medical Center, Manahawkin, NJ (6/16)
- Virtua Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center, Camden, NJ (11/16)
- Newton Medical Center, Newton, NJ (12/16)
- University Hospital, Newark, NJ (12/16)
- Chilton Medical Center, Pompton Plains, NJ (2/18)
- Virtua Memorial Hospital, Mount Holly, NJ (4/19)
- Virtua Memorial Hospital, Voorhees, NJ(4/19)
- John F. Kennedy Medical Center, Edison, NJ (7/19)
The Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) is a global program that was launched by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) in 1991 to encourage and recognize hospitals and birthing centers that offer an optimal level of care for infant feeding and mother/baby bonding. It recognizes and awards birthing facilities who successfully implement the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding and the International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes. Becoming a Baby-Friendly facility is a comprehensive, detailed and thorough journey toward excellence in providing evidence-based, maternity care with the goal of achieving optimal infant feeding outcomes and mother/baby bonding. It compels facilities to examine, challenge and modify longstanding policies and procedures. It requires training and skill building among all levels of staff. It entails implementing audit processes to assure quality in all aspects of maternity care operations. The BFHI assists hospitals in giving all mothers the information, confidence, and skills necessary to successfully initiate and continue breastfeeding their babies or feeding formula safely, and gives special recognition to hospitals that have done so. Learn more.