NJ Breastfeeding Coalition Trustees Teleconference Meeting
Nov. 7, 2016
Attending: Carmen Baker Clark, Kaaba Chenault Maynard, Marilyn Hines, Casi Leahy, Ellen Maughan, Kay O’Keefe, John Worobey.
- Old Business
- Worksite Recognition Program—Process & Checklist (attached) (Kay)—NJBC has received 2 complete applications for Workplace Recognition award and 1 other awaiting a photo. Kay explained that Casi will receive the applications and then notify the application review committee (Kay and Peg Sheridan). Kay discussed the need to have an NJBC member local to the award winner to bring the certificate and to obtain photos to post on our website (with consent). Casi and Kay will insert consent provision in the application. NJBC can also distribute press release to local media to publicize the award. Trustees discussed ways to promote the award to get more applications.
- Bylaws subcommittee update (Kay) –the Bylaws committee was thanked for their work. This agenda item was tabled until the next Trustees meeting for more time to review the proposed amendments.
- ZipMilk update and social media promotion ideas (Kay) –To verify ZipMilk listings, Kay proposed sending a trial letter to a small group of current ZipMilk providers to ask them to confirm/update their listings. She will then report back to the Trustees to consider results and next steps. Casi noted that the smallest category is Medical Professionals. It was suggested that the letter should include a deadline for response. Ideas for promoting ZipMilk through Facebook were discussed. Casi suggested that members be posting about ZipMilk in their FB groups and promoting ZipMilk when participants see BF help. Carmen will contact the admins at the Badass BF group to ask if ZipMilk info could be a pinned post. Kay will send short ZipMilk write-ups to all Trustees for this purpose.
- 2017 NJBC Trustees Annual Meeting—date selection—Jan. 21 was discussed as a new date for this meeting. Kay offered to find a location for it. Mary Lou has volunteered her house for past annual meetings..
- USBC update (Kaaba)—Kaaba informed us the members can subscribe directly to receive the Weekly Wire and other posts from USBC. The Trustees approved the request to sign on to USBC’s letter in support of the Babes Act and Fam Act. Ellen will provide Kaaba the logo to include on our coalition page of the USBC website. Kaaba will continue as our coalition contact to the USBC.
- Advocates for Children of NJ (Ellen)—potential future partnering coalition to include breastfeeding data in their annual statistics. –Ellen will explore developing a relationship with this organization to get breastfeeding included as an indicator of child health in their annual assessment.
- New Business
- Pending breastfeeding legislation (Ellen)—Ellen discussed summary of current breastfeeding legislation and the need to prioritize and create a strategy and committee for providing our position on pending bills. Carmen’s experience providing testimony last week on the tongue tie bill was discussed. The Trustees authorized Ellen to start contacting the sponsors of the pending BF bills to indicate NJBC’s interest in the bills.
- Organizational membership category—The inquiry from Mary Turbek regarding how NJ WIC Services might become an organizational member of NJBC was discussed. John raised the distinction between public and private organizational members. Trustees decided to table this issue until the next meeting.
- 2017 Quarterly Meetings—Kaaba will create a doodle poll for the Trustees to indicate best day of week and week of month for general membership meetings in 2017. Ellen Shuzman can also provide input.
- Selection of meeting dates
- Discussion of speaker topics
- Expression of gratitude to Alicia Dermer, MD, for service to the NJBC—Ellen will start an email thread to seek Trustee input on what if anything the NJBC should do to recognize Alicia Dermer as she steps down from her Trustee position.
- Other business?
- Adjournment at 1:49 PM.